Saturday, March 19, 2011

My go at MuayFit

After much pondering i realized my heart was already set on joining muay thai. So i arranged for a visit & scheduled a free trial session for a later date. By this time, i had 3 other friends pretty eager to join as well and we're hoping for a group discount or something. Here's their website http://www.muayfit.com. Thanks Jane, for helping me out.

The visit. Well the gym was empty at that time. It was clean, with mirrored walls & colourful floormats. The practise mitts were provided & they look to be in good condition, almost new. Then Jane took me upstairs to see the personal training section and oh my GOD it's beautiful. There was a boxing ring, a weights machine, about 8 punching bags (what pros call heavy packs) and several speedballs (those smaller, bouncy punching bags) with more practise mitts & bodypacks. The gym also sells equipment like gloves & hand wraps.

I decided to go for a free trial, the Muay Thai Beginner's Class on Friday 18th. Thankfully my friend Ramiza managed to join me. The other 2 were indisposed due to the short notice. I came early and saw the ongoing Intermediate class. They should rename it to Intimidating! Reminiscent of my times in Karate 10 years ago, going to the Batu Lanchang Dojo for additional practise; it reminded me of how it looked like when the brown & black belts were training, especially with that fierce Shihan Lim at the reigns. So yeah, intimidating with a tinge of aspirational envy & awe. So then I knew i was in the right place.

I had my reservations though : Karate was 10 years ago (and 10 kilos ago!). My stamina, my physique, everything is out of shape. Furthermore when i learnt Karate, all my instructors were women and all the students were girls (duh, it was SGGS). This is Muay Thai, raw & fierce. I am not beyond vulnerability & insecurity. If Mija weren't there, i'd have felt totally awkward, like I did the first few days in STARMAKER Musical Theatre Bootcamp.

Anyway...the Beginners class. The warm-up already was a shadow of what i used to do in Karate. Panting, sweating, cramping! Technique and erminology is different though. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut. Their roundhouse kick is more like the snapkick we had for Kumite. The jab they use was like the high forward punch and high reverse punch, only now done in kumite (sparring) stance. We didn't have uppercuts, but we had a similar block. So yeah, I enjoyed myself, but was a bit awkward adjusting what i had in muscle memory.

The class was only one hour though :(
But it was good thing considering how out of shape I am. I figured maybe in a few months i'd give the intermediate class a go. I'll also try out Freestyle Martial Arts & Krav Maga. At this moment I really don't regret signing up. Once the windedness and the tiredness have passed, I had a good sleep and I'm looking forward for more. But before you say 'go for it!', i gotta let my sore muscles heal first else i might seriously injure them jumping in too vigorous an activity.

So yeah, that's the beautiful highlight of my week : Muay Thai Kickboxing for Beginners.
If any of you reading this find yourselves interested to know more, call Jane at MuayFit Gym or email/text me to find out about their terms. Till next time, KOW POW!

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for blogs on people's experiences with Muay Thai to get myself started. Lo and behold, the first blog I see is yours! Can't believe I stumbled upon a fellow Georgian and someone who was in Karate too! Thanks for the short preview. I'm nervous as heck and I hope this works out well for me.

    ReplyDelete