Tuesday, January 19, 2010

You Got Mail

My grandmother sent me an SMS earlier today saying a package just arrived for me from Australia. I've got a package!!! No, not a-dick-in-a-box a la Justin Timberlake, (neither do i wish to receive one...its just creepy) but rather a small parcel I've been expecting; a gift from my oldest friend in every way, Sufia.

And behold! As if right on cue (with reference to my previous post) it is a small Quran with english translation. Somehow i knew that that was the thing she wanted to give me...after all a few months back i did ask if she knew where i could get 1 for myself; and i wanted it to be in english, and prefereably not Shakespearean english, but she had given hers away to someone. Put it this way : if I was going to get a Quran from someone, it would either be from Sufia or MJ (Maktok Jumabee, my paternal grandmother).

A few months back, i received a package from the UK. This time it was academic; I had asked Ili Liyana for a copy of the BNF (British National Formulary) which is like a 'dictionary for drugs'...they get it f.o.c there while here in Malaysia the price is around RM100!!

Then a few weeks before that, i received the most adorable home-made (or at least self-modified) card from another of my favourite-test people on earth : Azlaili!!! All the way from Savannah, Georgia...partying in the USA. A card for no special occasion, just an old-fashioned token of friendship to say 'hey' and 'be happy' and 'all the best for everything'. Opening that little envelope made my day.

Isn't it fun to open mail, cards, and personal letters? Perhaps i'll take this moment to lament on the fact that most of the time nowadays the postal service is used for bills, formal application forms/notifications, advetisements and catalogues. At least this is the case for my mother back in Penang....and my grandmother in PJ (except that she looks forward to her subscription of National Geographic / TIME / Readers Digest among other things). I remember the days, about 15 years ago (damn! damn!) back in school, it was so much fun slipping Hari Raya or Chinese New Year or Deepavali or Christmas cards into my classmates' desk or bags. Or receiving birthday cards and presents....something tangible that i can hold.

Nowadays, with the advent of handphones, SMS, emails and social networking sites, all wishes are conveyed via Facebook wall, or hp inbox, or Friendster page. The most personal thing you'll get is a phone call, and I appreciate them dearly (especially due to its sheer scarcity). Quoting Azlaili, Facebook dilutes friendship. Technology is not without its perks, but i believe it is limited to the sake of connectivity and networking. Nothing can substitute face-to-face encounters. The best substitue to that are letters (not emails!!) and phone calls, because there is always that 'personal touch' and effort. I call often and I love to meet up, but I'm guilty of not writing...I hardly give presents coz I never know what to buy!

Perhaps I'll start sending out letters/cards like my friends, paying it forward. Reciprocity. That is the key to make anything work. Maybe it will even be therapeutic for me, and hopefully bring some joy in their lives. First, i'll have to imrpove my penmanship and buy nice cards coz it will be horrible for me to attempt 'decorating' them.

That's all. Till next time, good night.

2 comments:

  1. COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!! HEY , UR GRAMMA READS TIME / NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC AND THOSE STUFF??? HAHA, WOWWW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! my full name~ im sorry about the anonymity of the mail when i sent it. i meant to write a letter with it, tp was in a rush when i was packing it, terlupa. then dah ter-gam...

    ReplyDelete