Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Of Weddings, Graduation and Upcoming Ramadhan

Last Saturday i attended the wedding of a former schoolmate of mine, Ezureen Ezani. Its the first of such weddings that i attended, though quite a number of my MRSM Taiping batchmates have entered a new phase in their lives. Some are engaged, most are newlyweds, others have welcomed their first child, and a tiny number of them are already pregnant with baby number 2.

Oh, how time flies. Apparently it has been 7 years since the lot of us left high school & SPM. Friends, former friends and even teachers have gone separate ways. Of course, being at Ezureen's wedding was like a small reunion of a handful of individuals; no longer clustered in 'gangs' or 'couples' or 'classmates' . I had fun! Oddly enough, there wasn't really any nostalgia. Everyone was here-and-now, celebrating our mutual friends' journey into marriage. I guess the lot of us had fun chatting & eating & laughing, we just HAD to have our own afterparty : Karaoke @ Wangsa Walk. Perfect Timing, coz Kemek (my karaoke buddy) & I havent been to karaoke for so long. Usually our karaoke trips are an all-girl outing, so this is the 1st time we have guys in the bunch. Frankly we were surprised to feel at ease, comfy enough to make fools of ourselves belting & screaming out of pitch for 2 hours.

Tired & happy, my day wasn't over : I had an Orthopaedic on-call shift that night, which also turned out to be fun and very informative.

The day before that (Friday) would have been a big day for me had i stayed on with my previous batch : Graduation, class of 2010. To be honest i anticipated a wave of depression to hit, just like it did they day they passed their final exams a few months back. Thankfully it didn't. The person i was really looking forward to see is my old roomate, Dahlia. She's a quiet girl, very hardworking and smart. Although i always say Dahlia is stiff, 'has no feelings' and hardly socializes (its the truth, she admits so herself!) but through the years we did become good friends. I was happy that she too really wanted to see me. I thought i was just going to meet her, say 'hi' amongst the crowd of graduates....i mean, i didnt want to interrupt her plans & celebrations...instead she asked to chill out in my hostel room & hv a quiet chat. Working life IS tough afterall, and after 2 months she has yet to receive her paycheck. I guess i just miss having her as a roomate & study partner.

Ramadan starts tomorrow. One month of fasting, before Raya celebrations. Regretfully this year i failed to 'pay my debt' if u know what i mean. Its a big deal to some people, and to others it means nothing. Me, its one of the things i usually make an effort to do in recent years. Perhaps if u'd notice, this is just another notch in the way things have been going on since late 2008....how i've completely let myself go; let go of discipline, of responsibilities, of decisions, and of everything i m 'supposed' to be. And now slowly & reluctantly i m resuming control of myself and my 'life'. I was never a failure, but now i'm halfway to becoming one....and i dont even know why. This posting (Orthopaedics) marks my worst/lowest point of academic participation thus far, possibly putting my future (exams/graduation from med school) in jeopardy. I dont even like myself for that, and it adds on every time i think about it. What does Ramadhan have to do with all this? Nothing, i guess. Its just another day of another month, except that i dont get to eat or drink during the day.

I gotta go to sleep now. Hope i make it to my 8.30 ward round tomorrow. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment