Monday, October 19, 2009

Dima VS Home Lighting

OK. On good days, i'm the type to attempt things myself rather than ask for help. So for things like changing lightbulbs, changing toilet seat covers, cleaning sink traps, re-glueing parquet pieces or attaching pan handles, i can manage.

The light over my dressing table had been flickering for weeks then one day i noticed it was dim. The light was still on, so it means the bulb wasn't blown, right? So i reached to the next logical conclusion : it was a starter problem. I know what the starter looks like...small white cylindrical thing below the fluorescent bulb mount. I know i can buy them at hardware or electrical stores. I assumed i could fix it; just remove it, take it to the store n get the exact one and put it back on...just like a lightbulb. Sadly, I was wrong.

I had gone through the trouble of removing the big sheet of glass which was the 'roof' of my dresser (the lightbulb was in the 'attic')...it was heavy!! Almost as tall as i am. Took the fluarescent bulb off then tried to pull the starter out. No can do. Unscrew the mount. There u go. Wires. Now why didnt i think of that? And so, without any further knowledge or equipment i put things back to the way they were before. Hey i'm no electrician; i'v only got the knowlegde of electric & appliance up to Form 3 living skills.

Guess i gotta call the electrician. Might as well have him do my bathroom lights : now that, is a lightbulb problem. Why wont i do it myself? Because its just to damn hard getting a 7-foot ladder up a narrow spiral staircase.

You know one thing i frequently wish i'm good at? Mechanics. Yep. Back in living skills class, learning about radiators and carburetors... then of course once i started driving come the multiple visits to the mechanic for various reasons. i think it'd be so cool if i knew how to do stuff like that. You know what, i'll go out on a limb and say i bet i can change a tyre. I'd love to try on a basic car. The last time i had a flat was on my Suzuki 4x4, and it required TWO jacks to lift. Too much for a beginner. Haha.

Well i guess i'll go to sleep n dream of Me the Mechanic...not the Megan Fox a.k.a Mikaela, but my own version : white tank top, greasy denim overalls, converse lace-up sneakers and a black baseball cap. Good night.

3 comments:

  1. i think you can be a good mechanic, i think if you go to the classes i think you can apply it, mechanics is as difficult as medicine, you learn the theory and then you have to apply it, practical, for somebody who bakes, sew, gardening, mechanics tuh if you belajar, nnt terer la tuh...unlike me, clumsy oney...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. a VERY interesting entry, hehe...i also wish i can be at least A MECHANIC if not a good mechanic. to tell u d truth, i cant change a lightbulb myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, ive added ur link to my blog! make sure u alert me if u got somthing new up

    ReplyDelete